Ms. Giannoni-Crystal is a dually-qualified U.S. and Italian attorney. After serving as a legal consultant for the Italian Employers’ Association and on a general retainer as attorney for Deloitte Legal for several years, Ms. Giannoni-Crystal opened her own practice, where she regularly assisted major companies and international groups.
She provided assistance to a wide range of clients (banks & financial institutions, industrial & commercial companies) both in Italy and in other countries. In particular, she was on general retainer with the legal office of a major Italian listed company operating in the Internet and mobile value-added services, with direct responsibility for legal issues of the foreign companies of the group (US, UK, Spain, China, Brazil, Argentina); there she was involved in setting up of branches and offices all over the world and in drafting and negotiation of international commercial agreements. She assisted Italian companies in business formation and operations in several European countries (Spain, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Portugal, UK), in Asia (Mainland China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia), Australia, US, and Latin America (Brazil, Argentina).
Her practice has focused on transactional work (contracts, commercial law, banking law, Internet law, business law, international transactions, mergers and acquisitions, constitution and reorganization of companies, financing, and property development). In 2011, she co-founded, together with Nathan M. Crystal, Crystal & Giannoni-Crystal, LLC.
She graduated cum laude from the Charleston School of Law and with maximum grades from University of Florence (Italy).
- Nathan M. Crystal & Francesca Giannoni-Crystal, Reconciling US and EU approaches to cloud contracts, 22 PL&B International, October 2014, Issue 131, www.privacylaws.com
- Nathan M. Crystal & Francesca Giannoni-Crystal, “Something’s got to give” – Cloud Computing, as applied to lawyers – comparative approach US and EU and practical proposals to overcome differences, together with Nathan M. Crystal, Opinio Juris in Comparatione Vol.I, n.I, 2014 (available at http://www.
- Nathan M. Crystal & Francesca Giannoni-Crystal, “One, No One and One Hundred Thousand” … Which Ethical Rule to Apply? Conflict of Ethical Rules in International Arbitration, 32 Miss. C.L. Rev. 283 (2013)
- Nathan M. Crystal & Francesca Giannoni-Crystal, Deterrents to Forum Selection Clause Challenges, International Litigation Quarterly; Spring2013, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p21-26, available at http://apps.americanbar.org/abanet/common/login/securedarea.cfm?areaType=premium&role=lt&url=/litigation/mo/premium-lt/articles/international/spring2013-0620-rule-11-as-deterrent-to-forum-selection-challenges.html
- Do the Right Thing (for your duty of competency): Some Ethical and Practical Thoughts on “Notarization” in International Transactions, together with Nathan M. Crystal, Global Jurist. Volume 12, Issue 2, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1934-2640, DOI: 10.1515/1934-2640.1412, December 2012, available at http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/gj.2012.12.issue-2/1934-2640.1412/1934-2640.1412.xml
- Enforceability of Forum Selection Clause: A “Gallant Knight” Still Seeking Eldorado, together with Nathan M. Crystal, 8 S.C. J. Int’l. L. & Bus 203.
- The EU Court’s Decision Akzo Nobel is Not a Big, Bad Wolf, South Carolina Lawyer, 17 (January 2012)
- Understanding Akzo Nobel: A Comparison of the Status of In-House Counsel, the Scope of the Attorney-Client Privilege, and Discovery in the U.S. and Europe, (2011) together with Nathan M. Crystal, Global Jurist: Vol. 11: Iss. 1 (Topics), Article 1, available at: http://www.bepress.com/gj/vol11/iss1/art1
- Contract Enforceability During Economic Crisis: Legal Principles and Drafting Solutions, (2010) together with Nathan M. Crystal Global Jurist: Vol. 10: Iss. 3 (Advances), Article 3, available at: http://www.bepress.com/gj/vol10/iss3/art3
- Comment to decision 624/2008 of Florence Court, Il Foro Toscano, 2/2008.
- Italian (mother tongue)
- English (fluent)
- Spanish (good)
- German (good)
- Some French and Portuguese
- American Bar Association
- International Section of American Bar Association
- Ordine degli Avvocati di Firenze
- New York State Bar Association
- International Section of New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Charleston County Bar Association
Ms. Giannoni-Crystal served for 2012-2013 bar year as Vice-Chair and publications officer of Europe Committee (ABA’s Section of International Law.) She also served in the Committee on Foreign & Comparative Law of the New York City Bar Association.
She is the Vice Chair of the International Law Committee of the South Carolina Bar and she serves as vice chair and Policy officer of the International Ethics Committee of the ABA Section of International Law.